Ready, Set, Stage!
Use this handy checklist to prepare your home for potential buyers.
1. Plan Ahead
- Walk through each room and critique the home from a buyer’s perspective.
- Hire a contractor to handle any major projects.
- Hold a yard sale, sell, donate or trash anything you don’t need. Or use a professional company to help you clean out your home.
2. Clean, Declutter and Depersonalize
- Thoroughly clean the entire home.
- Scrub the tile in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Clean hardwood floors.
- Steam clean carpets and drapes. Consider replacing the carpet, if stains are prominent.
- Get rid of dust bunnies.
- Repair cracks and holes in walls.
- Paint interior walls with neutral colours.
- Remove excess and oversized furniture.
- Rearrange furniture to maximize space.
- Organize room closets and store out-of-season clothes.
- Remove all small appliances, toys, magazines and pet items.
- Remove family photos, personal collections and medications.
3. Show off Your Home’s Best Features
- Remove rugs to show off hardwood floors.
- Pull-back drapes allow natural light in and showcase nice views.
- Stage the front porch or deck with furniture and potted plants.
- Make sure fireplaces are in working condition.
- Clean the backyard.
4. Pay Attention to Kitchens and Bathrooms
- Mop and wax/polish the floors.
- Clear all countertops.
- Replace outdated hardware.
- Clean appliances and fixtures.
- Replace old caulking around sinks and bathtubs.
- Remove stains from sinks, toilets and bathtubs.
- Keep all toilet seats closed.
- Hang fresh towels.
5. Appeal to the Senses
- Bake cookies or burn scented candles.
- Install higher wattage light bulbs to brighten rooms.
- Turn on all the lights.
- Open the windows to let in the fresh air.
- Refrain from smoking in the home.
6. Maximize Curb Appeal
- Paint the home’s exterior, including trim, doors and shutters.
- Check the front door, doorbell, address number and welcome mat.
- Power wash siding and windows.
- Sweep entryway and sidewalks.
- Mow, water and fertilize the lawn.
- Trim shrubs and trees and rake the leaves.
- Plant colourful flowers and shrubs.
- Store toys and equipment lying in the yard.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
Start The Search For Your New Home
Your home dreams can be a reality in just one click. Check to see what Regina and area homes are available today and then make an appointment with Meriel Gordon to assess your goals!